Sunday, September 13, 2009


It was Wednesday morning, September 9, 2009. A bright, sunny day with lots to be excited about and grateful for, but I felt blue. It hovered around me like the SAD blues I often get later in fall. The sun is definitely moving south and the lumins are diminishing rapidly but this did seem a bit early. Nevertheless, I felt blue. Not much energy or initiative to do anything. Sometimes these blues suffocate and immobilize but such was not the case today, just slow and dreary feeling.

Mid week and hubby was home for the day - huge plus. Today was the day his beloved train engine would be moved to it's final resting spot at the church playground. We had awaited this day for, shall I say, years. Actually, it was I who awaited this day. This special project had rested in our garage for what seemed like way too long. He had enjoyed building it immensely and perhaps he really was not all that excited about it leaving, but today it was departing. I should have been ecstatic, but I was blue.

My surgery recovery was nearing the three week mark and all was going well. Another reason to be delighted. Yet, I was getting quite tired of the ever present crutch. I just want to be done with all this invalid stuff and get back to 'normal', to walk without aides and without a limp. I'm weary of the constant, "Honey, should you be doing that? Here, let me do it." "Mom, what are you doing? I don't think you should be doing that?" And so I felt blue.

The train moving men (from Ironmen Ministry at CSC) arrived a half hour earlier than expected and rolled the engine out of the garage on some pipes and onto the driveway. Then we all waited for the picker truck to arrive, load it and transport it to the church. I made coffee and just happened to have some banana bread to accompany it. We sat around the driveway, chatted, laughed, and generally had a great time getting to know each other.

Then the truck arrived and started to work. I felt like a little kid watching as the operator attached safety belts around the structure and then hoisted it onto his flatbed and secured it in place for the trip. We all scurried into vehicles hoping to arrive at the destination before the truck did. Once there, the engine was again prepared for the unloading and positioning in the playground. It was pure delight to observe it all.

After returning home I felt almost euphoric. The blues were gone and I thanked God for sending his unsuspecting 'angels' to cheer me up. And they thought their job was to move the train.

1 comment:

Karyn Clemens said...

I love the last picture...but I think he should've had his train hat on :) What a fun project!